Caller ID is a technology that allows any phone to display the number of other phones currently connected. That is your outbound caller ID if you are making a call. When you receive a call, you will see the inbound caller ID. You may be wondering how to change your caller id name on Android.
Changing the caller ID of incoming calls is simple on any smartphone, including Androids. Other than choosing to display or hide your number, you have no control over your outgoing caller ID.
Geekyplix teaches you how to hide or change your caller id when you call someone from your Android phone. You can hide your phone number from your Android’s call settings if your carrier allows it. If not, you can download a free third-party caller ID-changing app called Dingtone from the Google Play Store.
How to Change Your Caller ID on Android
Method 1: Using Android Settings
- Launch the Phone app on your Android device. Tap the Phone app icon, which has the appearance of a white landline receiver on a green or blue background. Not all carriers allow you to hide your caller ID in settings. If this method does not work, try the other method from this article.
- Click MORE or. It’s located in the upper-right corner of the screen. There will be a drop-down menu.
- Select Settings. This option is available from the drop-down menu. This brings up the caller settings.
- on Samsung phones, before proceeding, you need to tap Call
- Scroll down and select More options. This can be found near the bottom of the page.
- Select Show my caller ID. It’s at the very top of the page. This brings up a pop-up or drop-down menu.
- Select Hide number. This option is available from the menu. As long as your carrier and region allow it, this will hide your caller ID.
- If you do not see this option, your carrier does not support caller ID masking. You can contact your carrier to request this feature, as most Android phones support caller ID masking by default, but it will most likely incur a fee.
Method 2: Change Caller ID Using Third-Party Apps
In addition to your Android Phone app, Google Play hosts a plethora of third-party apps that may contain the options you seek. Caller ID apps can often provide more information about who calls you from a blocked number than your Phone app does.
These apps can frequently tell you the country and city of origin of the private number and the street address in some cases. Most apps require payment from the developer to unlock this feature. These apps may or may not work for you, so read the reviews carefully before purchasing anything. This solution is imperfect, but it may be worth the cost if you want to know who is calling.
In this article, I will recommend the dingtone app.
Dingtone is a free app available in the Google Play Store, but you will have to pay for additional call time if you run out. It comes with 15 minutes of call time. Follow these steps to change your caller id name on Android:
Step 1 Download the dingtone app.
- Click on the search bar
- Type in “dingtone.”
- Select Dingtone
- Select INSTALL
- and click on ACCEPT when prompted.
- Click on OPEN when it appears.
Step 2 sign up.
- Select Sign Up.
- Please enter your phone number. Enter your current phone number in the “Click to enter your phone number” field.
Step 3 Confirm your phone number.
- When prompted, click OK. Dingtone will text you a verification code at the number you provided.
- Launch the Android Messages app. When you do this, make sure you don’t force-close the Dingtone app.
- Open the Dingtone text. Tap the Dingtone message that begins with “Your Dingtone access code.“
- Take note of the verification number. The code in the text message is the four-digit number you’ll need to enter to verify your phone number and create your Dingtone account.
- Return to Dingtone and enter the verification code. Then, at the top of the screen, tap the leftmost box and type in the number.
- Tap the Continue button. It’s located in the upper-right corner of the screen.
Step 4 Enter your information.
- Enter a name, then press the Continue button. Fill in the text field near the top of the screen with the name you want to use.
Step 5 Get your new phone number.
- Tap When prompted, obtain a FREE phone number. A pop-up menu will appear.
- Enter an area code, then press the Search button. This should be done at the top of the screen. The area code you enter should be from the city or region where you want to use your phone number.
- Tap Continue after selecting a number. The new number will be assigned as your Dingtone caller ID.
- Select Finish.
Step 6 Test the new number.
- Make a Call. This takes you to a Dingtone page.
- Swipe left to right, then tap Make a call now! It will launch the Dingtone caller application.
- Make a phone call. Enter the phone number to be called, then press the green phone button to initiate the Call. It will use your Dingtone phone number rather than your phone number.
STEP 7: Hide your number
- You can also hide your phone number by going to the bottom-right corner of the screen, tapping More, then Settings, Call Settings, and finally, the grey Anonymous Call switch.
How to change caller id on incoming calls and outgoing calls
When you call someone on an Android phone, you have three options for changing the ID that appears on their phone.
Network Default: This is determined by your carrier’s plan. Unless you have blocked your phone number with the carrier, this is usually your phone number.
Display Number: This option displays your phone number.
Hide Number: This hides your phone number, instead displaying a “Private Number” notification to the person you’re calling.
Open the Phone app on your Android phone, tap the “More” icon (3 dots) in the upper-right corner of the screen, select “Settings,” and then “Call Settings.” Then tap “Additional Settings” and “Caller ID.”
Read also this article you may need it:
- How To Answer Calls With Airpods Pro On Android
- How to Use Apple Headphones On PS4
- How To Take a Picture From a Video on Android
According to USA Today, using the Hide Number option is the same as using *67 to block your number from your Android phone. Although many people choose to ignore private numbers, their phones may automatically ignore, block, or send those calls to voicemail.
Change Caller ID for Incoming Calls
Unless the phone number is already in your Contacts app, the Caller ID displays the phone number for anyone who calls your Android phone. In this case, the person’s name also shows. Change the information in your Contacts app to what appears on your phone when someone calls.
You can customize how the person’s name appears when they call in the Phone app. You can have their first names appear first (for example, “lionel neymar”) or their surnames appear first (such as “neymar lionel”). To change this, go to the Phone app’s “More” menu and select “Display Options.”
How can you hide your caller ID while making calls on Android?
You can always use your Google Voice number as your caller ID instead of your phone number if you sign up for one. Once you have a Google Voice number, navigate to voice.google.com and click on the Settings icon. Then click on Calls. When forwarding calls, turn on Show my Google Voice number as caller ID.
What can you do if your caller ID is spoofed?
While there is no foolproof method for dealing with spoofing, there are some precautions you can take if you suspect someone is using your phone number to scam others. Examine your phone bill for indications of identity theft. Change the PIN or password for your voicemail. Also, report any potentially suspicious activity to your carrier.